Superintendent of the Year
2023 SOTY Timeline
Be sure to include the following:
- Official Entry Form
- Student Performance Work Sheet
- The letter, signed by the board president (no longer than five pages, 12-point Times New Roman, 1.5-line spacing, and 1-inch margins)
- A basic resume listing current positions and professional organizations (no more than three pages)
- A resolution indicating the board’s decision to nominate the superintendent
- Three photos, a photo of the superintendent (headshot), a photo of the superintendent and the board, and a photo of the superintendent interacting with students
Minimum image size 1,500 x 2,100 pixels (5 inches x 7 inches at 300 dpi); preferred image size 8.5 inches x 11 inches in .jpg format. No other documentation will be accepted.
Note: Board action is required for the resolution. Participating districts should place an item to cover the resolution on the board meeting agenda early in the process.
Send nominations to the executive director of the district’s education service center(ESC). The packet documents should be scanned and submitted as a single PDF in the order listed above. The packet and photo must be emailed to the ESC by close of business Friday, April 21.
A local school board that is currently an “Active Member” of the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) may nominate its superintendent. Nominees must meet the following requirements:
- Have served as a superintendent of the district since September 1, 2020 (interim positions do not count)
- Be a member of the Texas Association of School Administrators (TASA)
- Be certified and meet the State Board for Educator Certification continuing professional education requirement
- Be an active superintendent at the time of the txEDCON23
Superintendents who receive the top state award cannot be nominated again during the following five-year period. This rule does not apply to superintendents who were named regional winners or state finalists.
TASB Regional Screening Committees
The education service center will coordinate the regional screening. School board members serving on the regional screening committee are from districts that do not have superintendents nominated for the award and do not have board members on the TASB State Selection Committee. Each regional screening committee will submit one nomination to the TASB State Selection Committee.
TASB State Selection Committee
The State Selection Committee is typically composed of TASB directors appointed by the TASB president to serve on the TASB Member Services Committee. A director may not serve if the superintendent from his or her district is being considered.