Child Nutrition Home
The Region 7 Child Nutrition Program provides services, support and assistance to 95 school districts and 10 charter schools throughout East Texas. Services provided to students and families through a district's child nutrition program are an integral component in helping students lead healthy and successful lives.
Our Region 7 Child Nutrition team is committed to ensuring its districts' child nutrition programs are operated effectively and efficiently in every school by offering a comprehensive range of training and technical assistance designed to aid child nutrition professionals in:
- Meeting federal, state and local program requirements
- Mastering necessary skills and attaining knowledge through customized training and workshops
- Implementing and maintaining sound financial practices and cost effective programs
- Staying up-to-date on the latest news, developments and legislation related to and affecting Child Nutrition programs
- Incorporating methods to make meals appealing to students
- Providing quality services and meals to schools, students and families
Please learn more about services available by browsing our Child Nutrition web pages, and feel free to contact our office with questions or to obtain additional information. We look forward to serving you, your schools and your students!
Commodity Processing Co-op
The Region 7 Commodity Processing Co-op is a service provided to area school districts and charter schools food service departments. Districts and charters who are members of the Region 7 Purchasing Co-op can participate in processing at no additional charge.
The processing of donated foods (commodities) from USDA allows schools to contract with commercial food processors to convert raw bulk USDA foods into more convenient, ready-to-use end products. The processing of USDA donated foods (commodities) provides many money saving and safety benefits for schools such as:
- Helping stretch food dollars by lowering costs
- Increasing food safety by eliminating handling of raw products
- Effectively reducing labor costs and cash outlays for complex food preparation
- Facilitating the reduction of storage and delivery costs
- The convenience of Bulk USDA Foods delivered directly from USDA vendors to the processors of their choice
At least 70 products are reprocessed. Products that are most often reprocessed are:
|Basic USDA Foods
|Processed End Products
|Pork||Cooked crumbles, shredded pork|
|Beef||Charbroiled patties, crumbles, meatballs|
|Eggs||Egg patties, breakfast burritos|
|Chicken||Fajita strips, breast strips, nuggets, patties|
|Turkey||Turkey ham, breast deli slices, turkey crumbles|
|Flour, mozzarella, tomato paste||Pizza|
|Tomatoes||Salsa, marinara sauce, meat sauce, ketchup|
|Potatoes||Oven roasted, dehydrated potatoes|
|Apples||Fresh Slices, apple sauce|
If you would like to participate in the Region 7 Purchasing Co-op and Region 7 Commodity Processing, please contact Geri Barrett at (903) 988-6832 or Katie Chenoweth at (903) 988-6778.
» USDA CN Labeling (Authorized Manufacturers and Labels)
Food Service Training