Bus Driver Training
School Bus Driver Safety Certification Training is a state-mandated program to provide an initial 20 hours of safety certification training required of all school bus drivers. Also, an eight-hour re-certification training for all drivers every three years, thereafter. The purpose of this training is to assist schools in providing safety for students while being transported to and from school and on school-sponsored trips.
Instructors are located throughout our 17-county region with classes scheduled periodically throughout the year.
Taking a re-certification class within 180 days prior to expiration date is recommended. A driver cannot legally drive a Texas school bus if their expiration date has passed.
The Bus Driver Certification Program will enforce the Cancellation/Refund policy adopted by the ESC for any “no-show” participants beginning January 1, 2021. Any driver registered to attend a Bus Driver 20 Hour or 8 Hour class that does not drop their registration 3 calendar days prior to the class will be charged for the session. For full information please view our Workshop Policy webpage.
Bus Driver Credentials
2. Bus drivers must be at least 18 years of age.
3. Bus drivers must have a safe driving record in accordance with state law and district requirements.
4. All drivers must pass a physical examination by a TxDOT-certified physician each year. The day the physical is taken invalidates the previous physical. If failed, the driver must notify Transportation management immediately. Under DOT regulations, a driver cannot drive with a failed physical.
5. TX DPS requires that all Texas CDL holders must provide a Self-Certification Affidavit (CDL-7) at the time of license renewal and/or changes required by TxDOT.
6. Bus drivers with a class A or B State CDL license must complete the approved "state certification”. (Refresher course every 3 years)
Certification/Recertification Training Information
Federal Transit Administration Reasonable Suspicion Training for Supervisors
|Bus Driver 8 Hour Online||December 1 - 16, 2021||Online Course||213422||Jim Moore|